One of my absolute favorite comfort foods is chicken noodle soup or cream of chicken soup. I grew up eating these quite often and man I loved them. However, as I got older and realized the additives in canned and boxed foods I became disappointed knowing that this wasn’t something I was willing to make with the old school condensed soup. You certainly can, but clean, quality eating is vital to health. So I reach for using real ingredients as often as possible.
This homemade cream of chicken will be a game changer and you won’t ever want to go back. Just a heads up that it is a “condensed” soup so if using plain it will need to be thinned or add to any recipe just like you would the canned variety.
As a kid my mom would make cream of chicken without the noodles and then we would serve it over biscuits. Crazy good and one that my kids love too actually. Using the homemade condensed soup instead of the canned for my mom’s old school recipe takes it to a whole new level. Just another idea to change things up.
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Yield: 4-6 Servings
Ingredients: (For Chicken Noodle Soup):
- 3-4 Chicken Breast (depending on how chicken-y you want your soup)
- 1 bag egg noodles or noodles of choice prepared slightly aldente. (omit for cream of chix version or to serve over buscuits instead)
- 2-4 Cups Chicken Stock depending on soup or thicker cream of chicken version
- 6 Carrots sliced
- 6 Celery Stalks chopped
- frozen peas (optional-we are an anti-pea fam but I know many who love them)
- Condensed Cream of Chicken soup from below
- + additional garlic/ celery seed/ onion powder/ and or pepper to taste
Ingredients (For Condensed Cream of Chicken):
- 1 cup chicken stock (add a little extra if you are storing for another recipe)
- 1/4 cup shredded cooked chicken (leave this out if you are using for above recipe)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour (gluten free for gluten free variety – use a tad less)
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Directions (For Condensed Cream of Chicken):
- In a large sauce pan add chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile whisk together milk and flour until the flour is dissolved. Also, in a separate bowl combine seasonings to make adding to chicken stock easier.
- Once the stock is boiling slowly add milk mixture and whisk until well combined, then add in remaining seasonings continuing to whisk to prevent burning. Low heat to medium and whisk until the mixture is back to a low boil. Continue while boiling for an additional 3-4 minutes until the mixture feels thickened and creamy. Add in the shredded chicken is using, stir to combine and remove from heat. Remember this is “condensed” cream of chicken so it will be thick.
- Mixture can be stored in a tight container in the fridge (roughly a week) and can be used for any recipe that calls for cream of chicken. It can also be frozen if you prefer to make a larger batch for future use.
Directions (For Chicken Noodle Soup):
- Add all ingredients from chicken noodle soup list above – except for the condensed soup – into a slow cooker.
- Cook for up to 4 hours until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Shred chicken into pieces
- Add condensed soup and cook an addition 30-60 min. Will keep on low for a few hours if necessary.
- Serve as desired and enjoy 🙂
- ***If you don’t have time for a slow cooker: cook chicken in skillet all the way through, set chicken aside to cool. Add chopped veggies (except peas) to pan and cook until softened. In a large pot combine remaining ingredients including condensed soup, add chicken and veggies. Cook for 30-60 minutes until done. This works better for the thicker cream of chicken variety.
LOVE this recipe?
Never wonder to have make…..Find breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes just like it HERE: (#1 Best Seller: 500+ SLOW COOKER / CROCKPOT RECIPES)
All in 1 Amazing Best Seller Cookbook!