These Chili Cheese Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are hearty, satisfying comfort food that pleases a crowd. I love how easy these are to make and the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs so well with the spicy chili. This meal fills me up for what feels like ages and not only does it make a tasty dinner, but the leftovers are easily reheated for lunches. I like serving this with a veggie side like green beans or a salad. Each amply stuffed potato is only 286 calories or 8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints and it’s a dish your whole family will love.
Looking for more tasty, lightened up recipes using ground beef? Try my Beefy American Goulash, Cottage Pie, Beef Taco Soup, One-Pot Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Bake, Beef and Sausage Manicotti, Chili Cornbread Bake, Spicy Beef Taquitos, Cheeseburger Hash Brown Cups, Spaghetti Pie, Mexi Meatloaf Muffins, Cheeseburger Soup, Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole, Bacon Wrapped BBQ Meatloaf, Slow Cooker Meatballs and Marinara, Cheesy Taco Pasta and many more in the Ground Beef section of my recipe index!
Chili Cheese Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Yield: 6 stuffed potatoes
- 6 (6 ounce each) raw sweet potatoes (total of 36 ounces)
- ¾ lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ oz 50% reduced fat Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place it on the lower rack of your oven (to catch any leaks from the potatoes while baking). Stab each sweet potato with a fork 2-3 times to make some holes. Place the potatoes directly onto the oven rack in the center of the oven (the rack with the baking sheet should be underneath). Set the oven to 400 and allow to come to temperature with the potatoes in the oven. Once the oven is heated to 400, continue to bake the potatoes for an hour.
- About 20-30 minutes before the potatoes are done, bring a large saute pan to medium heat and add the ground beef. Use a wooden spoon to break it up into small pieces as it cooks. When the meat is breaking up and almost browned, add the onions and the garlic and stir together. Continue to cook another few minutes until the meat is browned and onions are softened.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin and cayenne to the meat mixture and stir together until well combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, remove from the oven. To serve, slice open a sweet potato and fill with ½ cup of chili. Top with a tablespoon of shredded cheddar and serve.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
8 per stuffed potato (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers PointsPlus:
7 per stuffed potato (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information per stuffed potato:
286 calories, 44 g carbs, 10 g sugars, 5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 19 g protein, 8 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)