This Mexican Chicken Cauliflower Rice Skillet is a healthy, flavorful one-pot meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner! I’ll be honest, I’m kind of a late adopter on cauliflower rice because I’ve always felt kind of ‘meh’ about cauliflower. It’s my husband’s favorite vegetable so I make it, but I’ve never been excited about it. Also, cauliflower rice seemed like kind of a pain to make. However, now that cauliflower rice is everywhere and I can easily find bags of it frozen or packages pre-made at the store, I thought I’d give it a shot. A few weeks ago I used it mixed with some regular rice (I was easing my way in) to make a different recipe and we loved it. I was so impressed! I was originally going to make and post this Mexican Chicken Cauliflower Rice Skillet with regular rice, but once I discovered how much I liked cauliflower rice I decided to dive right in and make it with cauliflower. Plus, I remembered seeing a somewhat similar recipe using cauliflower rice on All Day I Dream About Food, so I figured it would work out pretty well. I was right – it’s so good! I’m on board.
Not only is this skillet tasty, it’s super quick and easy to make and so filling. Plus a hearty serving is just 316 calories or 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving!
Looking for more tasty, lightened-up one-pot meals? Check out my Beefy American Goulash, Lemon Chicken Orzo, Rustic Sausage and Potato Skillet, Thai Turkey with Carrot Noodles, Beef Stroganoff, Cincinnati Chili Spaghetti Bake, Chicken Pesto Parmesan Pasta Skillet, Spicy Taco Gnocchi Skillet, Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet, Cheesy Chicken Veggie Pasta Skillet, Sausage Tortellini Skillet and more in the One-Pot Meals section of my recipe index!
Mexican Chicken Cauliflower Rice Skillet
Yield: 4 (1 chicken + 1 cup rice mix) servings
- 4 (4 oz) thin chicken breast cutlets (I butterfly two 8 oz breasts and then cut them to make two thin cutlets)
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz riced cauliflower (I used Green Giant frozen – no need to defrost)
- 1 cup salsa (I highly recommend using roasted tomato salsa – Wegmans, Frontera, Trader Joe’s, etc. all have one)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ¾ cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
- 2 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place the chicken breast cutlets in a gallon zip-top bag and add two tablespoons of the taco seasoning. Seal the bag and toss to coat the chicken in the seasoning.
- In a large saute pan or walled skillet, bring the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook on one side for 3-4 minutes. Flip each piece and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until each piece is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a side plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add the cauliflower rice, salsa, water, the remaining tablespoon of taco seasoning, corn and black beans to the skillet and stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium for 5 minutes. Remove the lid to stir, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is softened.
- Remove the lid, stir the contents and then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Add the reserved chicken in a single layer on top of the cheese and replace the lid. Turn off the burner and let the skillet sit, covered, for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
7 per (1 piece chicken + 1 cup “rice” mixture) serving (SPs calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per (1 piece chicken + 1 cup “rice” mixture) serving (PP calculated using a WW PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information per (1 piece chicken + 1 cup “rice” mixture) serving:
316 calories, 23 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 35 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)